June 8, 2010

Mood for Food?


"But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." John 4:32, 34

The other day my daughter stood at the cabinet and just stared. I'm sure we've all done this on occasion. She said, "I'm in the mood for oatmeal, but we don't have any." She then made it expressly known that "no other food appealed to her" at that point. I laughed and said, "Oh my, you can't base your choice of food on your mood!" We have to choose from what we have available.

I wonder how it is possible for us to be "in the mood" for certain foods anyway? I've "been there" too! I'm feeling like something Mexican tonight! Or what about that old TV commercial for a product by Knorr, "I feel like Chicken Tonight!"

Now you're probably wondering, "where is this going, Tammi, and what does it have to do with our walk with the Lord anyway??" Well, thanks for asking. LOL Because just tonight the Lord showed me how the degree of our hunger for God's Word can vary, depending upon what sort of MOOD we're in. In my personal experience, when circumstances are overwhelmingly bleak, I've noticed I tend to just fall apart, and "lose my appetite." That's the same old trick of the enemy---"Why bother? It's no use anyway"---and the Bible and devotional just sit there behind the "closed cabinet door." I'm certainly in NO mood to spend time in the "kitchen" cooking up some quality prayer. Have you noticed a similar pattern in your life too? Discouragement gets the "best of us."

Stress can cause us to lose our physical appetite for food, as well as for our Spiritual Food---God's Word. Jesus said "I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever." (John 6:51a) The main ingredient for our spiritual food is Jesus. We need to hunger for Him not only every day, but especially in our storms.

Since Jesus said His meat (food, nourishment) was to do the will of God and finish His work, it's safe to say that we can find our nourishment by feasting on His Word and doing His will for our lives.

No matter what your mood is, keep on going back to our only Source for REAL nourishment: and that's God's Holy Word. Jesus is the Word made flesh. (John 1:14) No wonder He said, "...and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. (John 6:51b)

So...what mood are you in? For Mexican? Italian? No matter, because our mood will not determine what Spiritual Food we choose. Look on that shelf, grab that Bible of yours, open it up and DIG IN! Don't forget to ENJOY! God's Word: It's Always Available; Never Expires; Has something to offer, even for the "Pickiest Eater" in your family; And it NEVER RUNS OUT! The best part is: It's F R E E!

Oh Father, thank You for using my children to teach me little lessons like this. Thank You Holy Spirit for speaking to me and helping me see how even our moods determine our hunger for Your wonderful Word. Jesus, please give us a hunger and thirst for YOU, for we know that as we dig in to YOUR Word, enjoy Your friendship and presence, we'll find the most fulfilling 'meal' we've ever had! We'll just grow more into Your image! No guilty feelings when I look into the mirror then! I love You, In Jesus' Name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Great post!
    This is so true and we all know it takes some effort to eat a real healthy meal. Just as it takes even more effort to eat of the Holy Word of God, and to eat of it in a way that will cause our souls to overflow to those who are starving we must ask the blessing first.
    In my newly released book titled "The Sword and the Spear" I take readers through everday events that will cause them to examiene their lifestyle. One will either continue to be decived by the piercing spear of Satan finding nothing but defeat, or they will begin to swing the Sword which God has given to become victors.
    check it out if you get a chance.

    http://bit.ly/cfz9s2

    God Bless,
    Pastor Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the LORD Tammi!

    Thank you for sharing a powerful message sister!

    I wanted to pop in and visit with you real quick before preparing for Bible Study this evening. I will, however, be back to visit more on your peaceful blog. I just left your website and OH MY was I blessed by your music samples!! I will have to get back there. My computer got hung up when I attempted to click the "download..." button.

    I also see your profile says Portsmouth, VA. I used to live in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Not from there but we lived there for a long time. I don't typically state my location online or details but will chat more via email soon.

    Praying for you and wanted you to know that! I'm looking forward to getting to know more about you and your heart in the LORD. I feel we're connected already as your comment on my blog and your subsequent emails blessed me deeply.

    Stay encouraged and know that GOD hears you and is near to you! He cares!

    Love and blessings in the LORD.

    Praying...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's such a joy to my heart! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." You are a gift to my heart! To God be the glory! :o)