October 7, 2012

Tips to Feel B.E.T.T.E.R.

How to Feel Better

 
 
Ever had one of those days (or years) when you just can't seem to pick yourself up out of the "discouraging dumps". . .you start to lose interest in the normal things that you once enjoyed.  ??    Well not long ago my daughter was telling me how she felt so discouraged and just wanted me to help her "Feel Better."  "Please tell me what to do, Mom!  I don't like feeling this way."   When your child is in need of help and you don't have a clue how to help them, take the request to the Lord.  After all, He is their Heavenly Father and loves them more than you ever could.   So that's what I did.  I quickly whispered, "Father help me to help HER know how to feel better."

Almost immediately an acrostic began to come to my mind, so I started jotting it down.

B- Busy.   Get busy.  Most of us find when we have nothing to do that's when the enemy comes in to steal our joy, tempt us to do wrong. Simply put:  "Idleness is the Devil's workshop."

E- Exercise.   I know this may seem silly.  But really it's not.  When we exercise our bodies, the special little chemicals in our brains called Endorphines are released, and they are our bodies' natural way to help us feel GOOD emotionally.

T-Think Positive.  Guard your thoughts.  Being idle can tempt us to think negatively, if we're not careful.  Whatsoever things are of GOOD REPORT, think on These Things. 

T-Treat others as you want to be treated.    Sometimes when I'm burdened or discouraged, I find my thoughts to lean towards the negative spectrum...causing ME to feel negatively about everything AND EVERYONE around me.  If I think negatively about others (or even myself) then I am apt to TREAT others (or even myself) unkindly.

E-Eat right.   I know...this seems obvious. . but think about it.  When we're discouraged, we're apt to either STOP eating all together, or eat TOO much---and it's likely that we're eating too much of junk. . . causing a vitamin and mineral deficiency...which has a direct affect on our brains (our thoughts, and subsequently our bodies ~ which affects our relationships.)  It's like a snowball affect. 

R-Rest & Relax.   Discouragement tends to keep us awake at night, which in turn steals our bodies' time to regroup, refresh, fight germs, and replenish the neurotransmitters called serotonin....those have a direct affect on our thoughts and impact whether we will feel "good" or "bad."     Relax....Rest in the LORD..He has control of every aspect of our lives.  This should cause us to breathe a sigh of Relief!   

It amazed me to see just how QUICKLY the LORD gave me a response to share with  my daughter.  I got tickled as I began writing the letters and acrostic down as He was guiding my thoughts.  I told her that if you notice, these tips are even in PERFECT ORDER.  If we are NOT BUSY then it snowballs downhill from there.  God is so good.  He says, "Before you call, I will answer, and while you are still speaking, I will hear."  That means even before I came to Him with this problem, needing an answer, He already had the answer...and while I was still speaking, He took the time to listen to me....then gave me the solution to share with her. . and NOW I'm sharing this with you.

Simple tips...but I hope that you will always remember when you're feeling discouraged, these are some practical tips to putting you on track to Feeling B.E.T.T.E.R.  

Feel free to pass this little "Rx" ( prescription) along to anyone you know that may need some encouragement.  :)

Hope you all have a great week!

Thank You, LORD, for answering me so quickly when I presented this problem to You.  I am still tickled at how quickly You responded by giving me these thoughts to share.  I pray that You will receive glory for all that is done this week in our lives. . .may we always look to YOU to help us.   
In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. So I've been stalking your blog and old posts. :-) This one is soooooooo good! Excellent ways to combat depression! Can I use it for my blog (O To Be Like Thee)? I will give proper credit and a link to your original post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's such a joy to my heart! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." You are a gift to my heart! To God be the glory! :o)