April 2, 2010

It is a Good Friday, In Deed

"Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed." I Peter 2:24

A good friend sent me an email this morning, just checking in to see how I was doing on this "Good, no GREAT Friday." In my response to her, I closed with "it is a Good Friday indeed...." Then....it hit me..."It is a Good Friday indeed and IN DEED!" Yes!

I just "googled" the word "Deed" and what I found caused a HUGE LIGHT BULB to "go off" in my heart! Look at the first entry I found: A deed is "a signed and usually sealed legal instrument in writing used to grant a right." However...I found it very interesting to look at the definition of deed, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "something that is done." Can't you see how they BOTH TIE into to the wonderful meaning of TODAY being Good Friday?

First of all, I was thinking of the "something that was done" today, many years ago, on Calvary. The "something" was a horrible gruesome, humiliating death on a cross--A cross intended for the vilest of criminals. However, the Person who hung from that cross is the Purest One, the Holy Son of God. He WILLINGLY placed Himself on that cross, while on that ground, and then was lifted up to be viewed by those beneath Him. . and beneath Him they WERE...(as are we all.) Yet, He hung there, pleading not for mercy for Himself, but for US..for "they know not what they are doing." (Luke 23:34) There were several events that occurred while He was on the cross...He called out to His Father, "Why hast Thou forsaken Me?" (Matt. 27:46) (He answered this question in Psalm 22:3---But Thou art holy.) He forgave the repentant thief. (Luke 23:43) He made sure His mother would be taken care of. (John 19:26, 27) He thirsted. (John 19:28) He committed His Spirit back to His Father. (Luke 23:46) All of these deeds, actions that were done while on the cross, are just the SURFACE of what was really taking place....just a quick glimpse into the deep love and sacrifice that was transpiring.

But one verse just sums up the wonderful GOODNESS about the significance of today. "Jesus, when He had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost." (Matthew 27:50) This loud voice was not a scream in agony! NO! It was a SHOUT OF VICTORY!!!!!!!!! Do you hear that?!?! It seems to ECHO throughout the pages of time right into the ears of your heart doesn't it? IT IS HIS SHOUT OF VICTORY! It's as if He is shouting, "SIN! YOU ARE DONE WITH! I HAVE DEFEATED YOU! NO LONGER WILL MY CHILDREN BE ENSLAVED TO YOU!!!!!!!! I HAVE PAID THE DEBT THAT THEY COULD NEVER REPAY! YOU ARE NOW DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!" OH MY! Brings tears to my eyes. What a DEED indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And guess what..we've not even discussed the first definition: "A deed is a signed and usually sealed legal instrument in writing used to grant a right." I think I'll let us digest the one definition of Deed today, and think upon the other definition of Deed tomorrow." This one is just more than my cup can handle!

OH DEAR FATHER! I call out to You, but want to SHOUT! I hear the SHOUT OF YOUR SON, my Dear Sweet Saviour, echoing through the pages of time, jumping right off the pages of Your Word, and right into the "ears of my heart!" I HEAR YOU! YOU DECLARED in that moment VICTORY over SIN! Precious Savior, You were not defeated! You did not become a slave! You were in absolute control the entire time! YOU gave up the ghost..You committed Your spirit right back into our Father's hands! You rightfully declared "No one takes my life from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again." (John 10:18) You willingly gave Your life, laying it down for me. What a DOWN PAYMENT!!!!! Oh! And not only DOWN PAYMENT but PAYMENT IN FULL! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS GREAT AND UNSPEAKABLE DEED...not only DEED, but now a gift!! To me and to this entire world! HELP ME, HELP US, Father, by Your Holy Spirit's power to DECLARE THE DEED that has been done on this, the Greatest Friday of all! In the precious name of my Savior, and Lamb of God Who takes away the sins of this world...Amen...and AMEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's such a joy to my heart! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." You are a gift to my heart! To God be the glory! :o)