April 20, 2010

Wasteland or Road?

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.   Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.  Isaiah 43:18, 19


This morning I could tell I needed an extra boost from the Lord.  I know that we walk by faith and not by sight, so my heart just asked Him for one promise that I can cling to, by faith, for today.   And of course, He answered.  There it was. . . those two verses in Isaiah.  "Don't remember the former things....I'm doing something NEW..I will make a way in the wilderness..and rivers in the desert."  MMMmm Good!  There was the life-line to cling to.

Then the desire to dig further, I guess inspect the life-line, overwhelmed me--probably similar to the desire of someone digging for gold or hidden treasures.   When we read God's Word, it's very important to read it, think upon it....but don't stop there.  Dig further.  When we seek Him with all our heart, we will find Him.  It's like the Lord is readily available, yet still so mysterious...there's still so much to learn, to find out about God.  Hidden within His Word are golden nuggets, if we'll only take time to search.

When you hear the word "wilderness" do you think of a hopeless wasteland?  Me too.  So, of course it's encouraging to know that He will make a way even in the middle of hopelessness.  But when I searched the Hebrew meaning I noticed the text is used in the "sense of driving,"  and an open field where cattle are driven.  The word "way" in the Hebrew text is "derek" which means "road." 

The word "river" is more specifically referring to the Euphrates River...which is in the Fertile Crescent...It's meaning is "That which is fruitful."  The Euphrates is a winding river that brings much water to the thirsty land around it.  Even more special to my heart was how "river" also depicts "to sparkle," or "be cheerful," "flowing together."  Oh!  To have this promise that our God is going to give us a sense of direction, and cause His Holy Spirit to flow through us, together with our submissive hearts, to bring sparkle to our otherwise "desert, wasteland" lives.  We will no longer be wandering, but on a direct path that He brings forth....and we'll be cheerful in following Him.  Others will see the Sparkle that He brings!  The Fruit of the Spirit!

He will rebuild us and make something fresh and new from our "wasteland" lives...we just have to forget our past...don't even mention it. 

Do you feel as if you're wandering, with no sense of direction?   I've "been there too."  It was so encouraging to know that God has promised to make a road, in this place where we SHOULD be driven for Him, not wandering aimlessly like a bunch of cattle.  Make sure you know Him as your Savior, for He is the only Way to have your sins forgiven.  The debt's been paid.  He is not only the Way, He will MAKE a WAY for you to finish this life, and sparkle for Him!

Thank You Father for giving me hope to cling to today.  I don't have to measure up to the "world's standards."  The only thing that matters is for me to wait on You to bring the road, the path for me to follow UP..Cause it to spring up today.  Move the earth today---only instead of crumbling roads...spring forth a road from this open field; may Your Holy Spirit flow through me, and bring forth the sparkling fruit of the Spirit for all others to enjoy.   In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's such a joy to my heart! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." You are a gift to my heart! To God be the glory! :o)