July 27, 2010

"A Joy to My Savior"

"A Joy to my Savior"
written by my Grandmother, Belle Sandefur

Oh to be a joy to my Savior
To please Him in all that I do,
That He may smile and be glad for my service
In these trials I now am going through.

He alone can heal all my heartaches,
Dry the tears from my eyes from day to day;
Give me strength as I climb the highest mountain
And lead me gently as I walk the narrow way.

Yes, I know He is with me every moment
Though at times He may seem far away.
I can trust Him for He's proven His love to me
And He's the joy of my life every day.

I just wanted to share a poem that my dear grandmother wrote back in 1999. God has given her a talent for writing poetry that expresses her thoughts during each trial or storm she has weathered over the fifty-plus years she's walked with the Lord.

Grandmama has shared so many of her poems with me at different times in my life, and they've all become a treasure to me. She's been such an inspiration to me in my walk with the Lord all these years, and I'm so thankful that I can still call on her whenever I need to talk, hear her pray, or just listen to her words of wisdom. I have many memories of spending time with her and Granddaddy on the old swing under the trees in West Virginia. 

Today, as I was doing the typical household chores, I was reminded by the Holy Spirit that even the menial task of sweeping floors, can be a service for my King, as long as I do this "as unto the Lord." All of a sudden sweeping the floor didn't seem so "unimportant" after all. :o) Yes, we can be a joy to our Savior while doing our every-day, run-of-the-mill chores, as long as we are doing them "as unto the Lord." 

6 comments:

  1. Such a special and beautiful poem...your Grandmama is leaving a rich heritage for you...what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and encouraging poem! How blessed you are to have such a wonderful grandmother. I also needed to read your thoughts at the end. I have been going a little crazy with housecleaning and your insights put everything back in right perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sweetie,,just wanted to stop by and say HI
    and your on my mind.. Loved the note you sent to me it was wonderful to see in my inbox...
    And that really doesn't say enough...
    You do have a beautiful style Girl and your Grandmas poem is Awesome,,you can feel her love and peace with Jesus coming through..
    Have a GREAT rest of the week,,even doing chores,,,just like you said,,do them for the King, King Jesus..
    Blessings and Hugs Dena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your grandmama's poem. And do you know it's actually a comfort to me as I go through these trials right now. Thank you for sharing it with us. BTW, is she Norwegian? There's a town in Norway called Sandefjord. It sounded a bit like that.

    Your grandmama is very wise. Whatever you do, do as unto the Lord does change the perspective on whatever we do, doesn't it?

    Much love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful heart felt words from your Grandma!

    Living, doing, being -- all unto the LORD. May we be reminded of that daily and often.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your grandmother's beautiful poem, Tammi. It really speaks to my heart, very comforting. She writes poetry similar to what I write.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's such a joy to my heart! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." You are a gift to my heart! To God be the glory! :o)