August 3, 2010

The Divine Stabilizer

And He arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 
Mark 4:39

Saturday night, when everyone else in the Yates' household was sound asleep, I was awake...Talking to the Lord.  Having an honest conversation.  Realizing the importance of going to our Heavenly Father through our Advocate or Representative, Jesus Christ, I pretty much "stated the facts of this case" I find myself grappling.   "Dear Jesus, here are the facts, as plainly as I can state them..." 

Have you ever felt like "Maybe if He'd just calm the stormy seas, His reflection in my life could be seen more clearly?"    I have!  In fact, remembering how He rebuked the wind and calmed the sea, I begged for Him to "do it again, Lord....for Your image to be clearly seen in my life...for Your glory."

Oh....how quickly I received a response to my "9-1-1 call to heaven!"  The very next morning, in my devotional, "Unto the Hills," by Billy Graham, he spoke of a ship's stabilizer, a gyroscope.  That is a device that is used for measuring or maintaining orientation.  Now I will not even attempt to explain the mechanics behind this instrument.  Basically, it remains stable no matter what direction force (or motion) is coming from.  The key is.....STABILITY.  Keeping the ship stable, even if the vessel is being tossed about violently. 

For Christians, our stabilizer is the Holy Spirit.  He enables us to keep going in the right direction, no matter the amount of force "our vessels" are experiencing.  So here I was "suggesting" that the Lord just speak PEACE to these storms, "calm the storms, so that Your image can be reflected even clearer," and He quickly responds, "Dearest, I've equipped you with a Divine Stabilizer....You empty your vessel of your fleshly nature, and allow My Holy Spirit to fill you up from 'bow to stern,' and you shall remain stable from the inside-out, able to reflect My image, even ON stormy seas."

So...maybe He will speak Peace and a great calm will come to the raging seas of life.  Maybe not.  Either way, God expects us to reflect the image of His Son by allowing the "Eternal Son" to rise in our hearts.  No matter what, He's there in the midst of us, able to speak peace, or to bring (and KEEP) peace from within the very depths of our hearts. 

Dear Jesus, we humbly and readily admit that You ARE the Master of the wind, the Creator of the universe, and You will do what is best in order to bring us closer to You.  You reflect the Heavenly Father to us, and You then enable us to reflect Your image right back to Him, so others will see and be drawn to YOU.  Have Your way within our hearts, no matter the stormy seas that may be raging around us.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.



A big thank you to Michel Mayerle for granting permission
to use his beautiful picture of the sunrise!
(To find more detailed info about the gyroscope, click here.)

4 comments:

  1. Amen. I am so thankful for His ever presence in my life. I can feel it in the storms and In the calm.
    I read a church sign the other day that has stuck with me and it read "God uses the Storms". I am so glad to know that when we do face storms...somehow...He is going to use that storm for good.
    Gives me the chills...HE has got it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! What great insights! I especially love this term, "Divine Stabilizer"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of the Holy Spirit...there is a quote that says something about sometimes God calms the storm, and sometimes He calms the child...

    That's a beautiful song you shared....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister . . .this was a fantastic post. I needed to be reminded that I am in Christ and Christ is IN me. That I should not be "moved." I should not be shaken . . . He is with me always and my life is in the palms of His hands. Thank you sister for your encouragement in my faith.
    Blessings of love,
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's such a joy to my heart! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." You are a gift to my heart! To God be the glory! :o)