August 4, 2010

Peace, Be Still

Peace, Be Still
(written by my grandmother, Belle Sandefur)

God is our refuge, our strength, our song
In Him we can rest all the day long.
The cares of the world soon vanish away,
For in Him there is safety in each passing day.


As a baby looks to its mother
For it's nourishment and care,
We draw strength from our Father
As we go to Him in prayer.
(This is my sister, asleep with a cookie in her mouth @ 1975.)

His Word gives us comfort
As we obey His will,
And in the quietness of our heart,
We find His "Peace, be still."


He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
Psalm 107:29

And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?
Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea;
and there was a great calm.
Matthew 8:26

Dear Jesus, thank You for being our Peace. (Eph. 2:14)   Whether You speak peace to our storms or bring peace to our hearts, we are resting in the comfort of Your arms.  Empty our vessels of ourselves and fill us up with the power of Your Holy Spirit.  And there we will find Your Peace, Be Still.  In Your name we pray, Amen.


(*Thank you, Joanne @ Blessed for suggesting this song!  It is wonderful. 
Did you know that my sister's name was Sherri, with an "i" too?? 
Oh how wonderful this is. Thanks again, Joanne!)

7 comments:

  1. Awww...this was beautiful! All of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful...it brought peace to my soul tonight.

    Hugs,
    Alleluiabelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I long to stay in that place of peace. Life struggles and losses often disturb my peace. But I'm learning to keep my eyes on Jesus and to trust Him even though I may not understand.

    Much love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED this post. My first time by, I found you thru Denise.
    Your grandma's poem...WOW. What a blessing to have that as part of your family legacy. I do hope you've framed that for your home. There is a song I like, "Peace Be Still". I thought I'd include the link for you to hear it too. God's Blessings!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaM3wCMcHjA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this, we all need peace that comes from above. Love your grandmother's poem-what a heritage.
    Blessings and hugs to you today.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggle with the being still...but resting in His peace is an awesome place to be.
    Hugs,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sis, thank you so much for the precious memories I have of that picture of Sherri. She had played outside and just finished lunch and just had to have her snack, yet could not stay awake to enjoy it. :-) Notice, she did not let it go. Holding on to the Lord's goodness is my thought on this one! Thank you for the memories! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It's such a joy to my heart! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." You are a gift to my heart! To God be the glory! :o)